Tuesday, February 28th 2023
A list of 10 notable bakers who have made significant contributions to the art of baking in the United States:
- Nancy Silverton - Founder of La Brea Bakery, which revolutionized artisanal bread in the US.
- Dominique Ansel - Creator of the Cronut and other pastry innovations, owner of Dominique Ansel Bakery.
- Jim Lahey - Creator of the no-knead bread method, owner of Sullivan Street Bakery.
- Joanne Chang - Founder of Flour Bakery, known for her award-winning sticky buns and other pastries.
- Thomas Keller - Chef and owner of The French Laundry, known for his pastry program and contributions to the field of molecular gastronomy.
- Maura Kilpatrick - Pastry chef at Oleana, known for her Mediterranean-inspired desserts.
- David Lebovitz - Cookbook author and blogger, known for his approachable yet sophisticated dessert recipes.
- Christina Tosi - Founder of Milk Bar, known for her innovative approach to nostalgic desserts.
- Peter Reinhart - Author of numerous books on bread and pizza making, including "The Bread Baker's Apprentice."
- Rose Levy Beranbaum - Cookbook author known for her meticulous attention to detail and precise recipes, including "The Cake Bible."
These bakers have opened their own establishments or written notable books that have helped shape the American baking scene. Their contributions range from reviving traditional bread-making techniques to creating new pastry innovations, and their work has influenced many other bakers and pastry chefs across the country.