Saturday, March 11th 2023
Here are some fun facts about Oahu:
- Oahu is also known as "The Gathering Place" in Hawaiian.
- The island is home to the world-famous Waikiki Beach, which was once a favorite surfing spot for Hawaiian royalty.
- Oahu is the third largest Hawaiian island, after Hawaii Island (also known as the Big Island) and Maui.
- The USS Arizona Memorial, located in Pearl Harbor on Oahu, is the final resting place of more than 1,100 sailors and Marines who died during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941.
- The Dole Pineapple Plantation, located in central Oahu, is home to the world's largest maze.
- Oahu is home to the Kamehameha Statue, which was erected in honor of King Kamehameha I, who unified the Hawaiian islands.
- The island is home to several historic landmarks, including the Iolani Palace, the only royal palace in the United States.
- Oahu is known for its diverse cuisine, which is influenced by the island's multicultural population.
- The island has been the setting for several popular movies and TV shows, including Jurassic Park, Hawaii Five-0, and Lost.
- Oahu is home to several beautiful botanical gardens, including the Foster Botanical Garden, which was established in 1853 and is one of the oldest botanical gardens in the United States.